I want to be able to confidently call myself a social entrepreneur, and even more than that, a World Changer. Both of these titles are terrifying to me. They sound so big. And yet, both of them intrigue me greatly and are exactly what I want to be. They are not titles that someone else is forcing upon me. They are not something I feel that I should be. But they are instead something that I want to be. The day that I can say I am a social entrepreneur or a world changer and truly mean it, then I am the confident person I have always wanted to be. And that in itself, would change my world.

Friday 7 January 2011

Peek-a-boo where are you?

One of the most interesting things that has come about since I starting thinking about, writing about, and talking about social entrepreneurship is that I now notice there are so many people that I know already or meet that are entrepreneurs and don't even know it. That is, if we are thinking of a social entrepreneur as an attitude, an approach, or a way of thinking as oppose to a job title. So, if every organisation has at least one social entrepreneur, how is that I don't see amazing social enterprises everywhere I look? Or amazing social enterprise models within bigger organisations? Don't get me wrong, there are some amazing things happening out there already. But theoretically, this whole Big Society model should already be happening. We should be overwhelmed with creative people doing creative things. The people who have the passion, ideas, and approach are there. They get excited about an idea and are keen to change the world, in whatever way is most appropriate to them. And yet, so many aren't doing it. The words that I hear so very often are 'But I don't have enough experience or business skills to start something'. These are the words that I have also said for years and years. But are the words true? Is it that we don't have enough experience? The right skills? Enough confidence? Perhaps it is a mixture of all of these things. If we really truly are going to change the world, then it seems that starting by empowering these people is the place to start.

No comments:

Post a Comment